Sunday 3 May 2009

Lovely day out

Having decided to have a break from any stained glass today, I was sat in the garden with my daughter. Just as I was thinking to myself how much I'd like to go out for a drive, Jenny asked me if I fancied going out for the day ...hows that for reading my mind ??

We decided that Black Rock sands in Portmadog would make a nice day out, as you can drive on to the actual beach and take dogs too, so off we went the sun blazing through the car window. After an hour we arrived on the beach, and my daughter jumped out and told me to drive for a change. First of all I almost got the car stuck on the fine dry sand !! Then for extra measure once I'd manouvred off that safely, I only went and got the car stuck on soft wet sand !! Despite both of us trying to get off it, the car stayed firmly stuck and I couldn't help but notice the tide was coming in pretty dammed quickly !! We got carpet squares out of the boot and put those under the back wheels no good, then under the front wheels no good again. Then two helpful guys tried to help us by pushing the car out, that was no good either as the car had sunk almost up to the sills of the car. Luckily then the beach wardens arrived too, it took all 4 of them to get the car out of the sand !! How annoying that I hadn't thought to get the camera out of the car and photograph the whole thing dohhhhh lol !!

After that, I told my daughter to drive instead lol. We drove up to the other end of the beach and bought a cuppa, before we settled to watch a guy launching himself in the air using his wind surfing kite, and watching all the water sports going on. Then later, we drove close to the sea and I got out and joined the dog in the sea for a paddle, the water was surprisingly warm considering how early in the year it is. Two or three hours later we left the beach and drove back through the mountains via Beddgelert, where the illustrator Alfred Edmeades Bestall, of the famous Rubert Bear books used to live. The scenery there is breath taking, I wish it hadn't been Bank Holiday as there was lots of lovely little waterfalls I'd have loved to have taken photo's of, but I couldn't. Nevertheless, we had a great day out finished off with a portion of chips with curry sauce from a local chippy on out way back up the island.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: