Sunday 10 January 2010

Bitterly cold mountains

As my oldest daughter and her family were here for the weekend from the Midlands, a trip to the mountains was on the cards. None of us had any idea how bitterly cold it was going to be. I'm pretty good for not feeling the cold, but my hands were frozen to the bone within a couple of mins of getting out the car !! This made taking photo's quite difficult to say the least lol. But of course we persevered, and for our trouble we got some shots of the biggest icicles I've seen in my life time. They were at least 7ft tall and very thick. Amazing how quickly these icicles have formed as there was nothing like them, last week when we went past the same spot.

By the time we reached one of our favourite spots for sledging, I'd decided I wasn't going to get out the car again, as the cold was making my arthritis really play up in my hands. Two runs on the sledge, and everyone else was heading back to the car anyway lol.

On our way back home, I was keeping my eyes open for wild mountain goats that live on the mountains, and as we drove past a spot I've seen them before, I caught sight of some out of the corner of my eye. Of course we had to turn the car round and try and get some photo's of them....which we did. Sadly the quality of photo wasn't as good as some we've taken, but we think that was because the car engine wasn't turned off and also as there were 4 of us in the car it wasn't as still as it is usually. But I've still put one on my photofantaics blogs.

In the meantime, here's 3 photo's of the icicles for you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: